This workshop is an introduction to the beauty and simplicity of the big stitch. We will talk about, and employ the best and most affordable supplies, talk about technique, prepare the layers for stitching using flannel-backed Birdie Bird batting, and delve a little deeper into the running stitch.
You will find your own rhythmic, stitch length and explore additional ways in which you can use this technique, not just in quilt making. In addition to its beauty, hand-stitching can be a practical approach to daily, mindful practice.
Maday will provide needles and additional assorted threads to share with students in class.
- Finished pieced or whole cloth quilt top measuring a minimum of 48" square, for the maximum size the top should not exceed 84" on the shortest side
- Birdie Bird flannel-backed batting big enough to accommodate your quilt top plus 4" all around. (This batting is available at Blue Bar Quilts, no backing fabric is needed with this batting.)
- small scissors or thread snips
- curved basting safety pins
- perle cotton or sashiko thread in the colors of your choice